My Guide Website?
From Venice: Murano & Burano Islands Boat Tour1453 Reviews
Discover the lace-making and glassblowing traditions of Venice on a leisurely boat tour. Watch glass and lace-making demonstrations with options to buy items at a discount.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in Venice:If youʻre booking your trip to Venice last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- Explore the glass blowing traditions of Murano at an artisan's workshop
- See women making lace on the tiny island of Burano, and get an explanation of the dying art in English
- Wander the streets of Burano to see the brightly painted houses
- Follow in the footsteps of Michelangelo and take home your own lace keepsake
- Enjoy a private boat trip to the 2 most colorful islands in the lagoon, Murano and Burano
DescriptionEscape the crowds of central Venice and catch a glimpse of what life in the city used to be like, as an island of artisans famous for their traditional craft skills, passed down from generation to generation. Your guide will keep you entertained on the short boat ride to the small island of Murano, famous for its glass making traditions. Find out the facinating story of Murano glassblowers and how their skills were so valued they were banned from leaving Venice on the threat of execution. Watch a craftsman in action and listen to a description of the process in English. Learn how silica sand becomes glass, and how the glass is given color. Afterwards, there will be time to browse the huge collection of glass art, and wander the island on your own. Cruise to the tiny island of Burano to see the brightly-painted houses huddled tightly together along streets and canals. Uncover Burano’s centuries-old lacemaking tradition as you visit a building where women still partake in this tradition of stitching lace. Your guide will explain the process of this dying art. Then, you can follow in the footsteps of Michelangelo and pick out your own keepsake. Or, wander the winding streets, sampling delicious cookies at local bakeries. Unlike other tours, this excursion intentionally omits Torcello to provide you with more time on Murano and Burano, and with less time on the boat or trekking inland.
IncludesGlassmaking demonstration at a Murano factory, with commentary in English Lacemaking demonstration at a shop in Burano, with commentary in English Discount at the glass blowing and lace-making venues where the demonstrations are held (10% or more, depending on the item) Headsets where necessary Round-trip boat transportation
- On Mondays, the typical lacemaking demonstration in Burano may not be available. In such an event, the tour still offers a captivating exploration of the island that showcases its unique charm and rich cultural heritage