My Guide Website?
In and Around St. Mark‘s Square: A Self-Guided Audio Tour
On this self-guided audio tour, experience the magic of GPS-playback on this immersive stroll through Venice and sense this merchant city's power in 'the world’s most beautiful drawing room'
Our Top Experiences and Tours in Venice:If youʻre booking your trip to Venice last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- Wade through Venice's deep history
- Hear from producer Context Travel's expert guide
- Do it all in 75 minutes or linger at stops along the way with complete control
- Get unlimited use of the tour before your booking date and after it
- Use the virtual tour option at home
DescriptionDive into the history of Venice on this walking tour of Piazza San Marco (St. Mark‘s Square) and its surroundings with Context Travel expert Dr Susan Steer, an art historian who specializes in Medieval and Renaissance Venice. Our walk starts at St. Mark’s Square, “the most beautiful drawing room in the world”, as Napoleon called it, and one of several historically significant landmarks you‘ll visit on this tour. You‘ll gain an understanding of the important role Venice played in merging the Eastern and Western worlds during the Medieval and Renaissance eras. Along the way, Susan Steer will share Venice’s history while providing recommendations, context, and must-sees. You‘ll also discover off the beaten path gems like Giardini Reali Park, where our tour ends. On this walking tour of Venice, you‘ll: • Hear about the power and wealth of Venice as a merchant city • Take in St Mark’s Square‘s sights, including the Clock Tower, Saint Mark‘s Basilica, the Biblioteca Nazionale Marciana (Marciana library), the Zecca (the State Mint), and the many museums in the square • Learn a bit about the 3000+ year history of the city • Explore the Doge’s Palace • Travel through time with a visit to Harry‘s Bar, an old coffee bar and a former haunt for literary greats like Ernest Hemingway • See the legacy of Italian poets, painters and writers who lived and worked in Venice in monuments and place names • Observe the ornate arches, stunning buildings, picturesque bridges and windy canals that make Venice the most romantic city in the world, including Bridge of Sighs and Ponte della Paglia • Discover Byzantine art and its influence on the Western Roman Empire By the end of this hour-long tour, you‘ll have a deeper appreciation for Venice‘s history.
IncludesLifetime access to this tour in English VoiceMap app for Android and iOS Offline access to audio, maps, and geodata
- The tour uses a mobile app. You will need to download the app and then use the voucher code provided to download the tour It is a self-guided audio tour that you can start, pause, or restart at any time and complete at your own pace You can download the tour at any time, before or after your booking date. It is best to download the tour before you set off for the starting point When the download is complete, you will see a screen with a photo of the starting point and directions to it. The red start button will become active when you are at the starting point The tour follows a set route and includes turn-by-turn directions. It works best if you start it in the right place and follow the directions from one location to the next Please note that you'll need to use your own mobile device and headphones for this tour. The tour is only available in English.