My Guide Website?
Venice: Doge's Palace Secret Itineraries Guided Tour255 Reviews
Go behind the scenes on a special access tour of the Doge’s Palace and discover the secret itinerary of the rulers of the Venetian Empire. See secret archives, offices, torture chambers, and more.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in Venice:If youʻre booking your trip to Venice last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- View of secret prison chambers & archives of Doge's Palace
- Skip-the-line access and exclusive tour limited to 20 people
- Special visit to Casanova's prison cell & torture chamber
- Route including the best general access areas and apartments
- Hear fascinating stories of Venice's history from your guide
DescriptionSee parts of the Doge's Palace that most visitors and many Venetians don't even know exist on this special access tour. Open to just 20 people at a time, this exclusive tour explores secret prisons, archives, offices, and even a torture chamber in Palazzo Ducale to reveal a darker side of history. For those with an interest in art, history, literature, or scandal, the Doge's Palace is by far the most interesting building in Venice. Home to the world's oldest republic, it's quite literally a repository for its greatest secret and artworks all laid bare on this in-depth tour, offering a much more detailed picture of life in the Republic of Venice. With your guide, a Venetian art expert and historian, enjoy skip-the-line access to the Doge's Palace and make a beeline for backstage. After a guard opens a special door, enter the hidden side of the palace to see the prison cell where Casanova was held, hear the unlikely tale of his escape, and visit the archives to learn how secrets were kept. See hidden council rooms to learn of the system of checks and balances that made Venice the world's oldest republic and enter the best general access areas such as huge audience rooms, ballrooms with incredible paintings by Veronese and Tintoretto, and the private apartments of the Duke of Venice. Your VIP experiences ends with crossing the famed Bridge of Sighs to see the New Prisons on this small-group tour.
IncludesSkip-the-line Doge's Palace entry Special access to the Doge’s Palace Secret Itineraries Guide
- Children under 6 are not allowed inside the secret passages
- The prisons and secret itineraries are not wheelchair-accessible. The route is not suitable for those with walking disabilities or for pregnant women.
- This is a small group tour of 20 people or fewer
- Please note, both men and women must wear clothes that cover at least their shoulders and knees. You may be denied entry if you do not follow the dress code.