My Guide Website?
Venice: Historical Walking Tour and Doge's Palace14 Reviews
Discover the most important historical landmarks of Venice on this guided tour, which is divided into two parts: Saint Mark's Square and the Castello area, plus a visit to the Doge's Palace. You can also skip-the-line and enjoy easy entry to the palace.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in Venice:If youʻre booking your trip to Venice last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- Learn about the history ducal of Venice
- Skip the line at the Doge's Palace
- Discover the architectural wonders of St. Mark's Square
- Wander the romantic alleys and narrow streets of the Castello district
DescriptionAfter meeting with your professional guide, you will begin your fascinating tour of the most characteristic places in Saint Mark's Square, focusing on the history and architecture of St. Mark's Basilica and the Renaissance-era clock tower. You will leave the square and head to the Castello area, strolling through its labyrinth of narrow alleys, bridges, winding canals, and picturesque squares. You will see Santa Maria Formosa Square, one of the largest squares in Venice, along with its church, named after its visitation of the Holy Virgin, the Saints Giovanni and Paolo Square (where several dukes doges lie buried in the church). You will also encounter the equestrian monument to Bartolomeo Colleoni, a mercenary captain, as well as the former residence of Marco Polo, probably the most famous Venetian merchant of all time. After this 1.5-hour walk, you will head to the Doge's Palace, once the seat of power of the Republic of Venice, for a 1-hour guided tour. Once inside the Palace, you can wander the halls where the duke and his council controlled the fate of the Serene Republic, while surrounded by hundreds of artistic masterpieces detailing the political history of Venice and its people. Admire paintings by some of the most important artists of the Italian Renaissance, including the world's largest oil painting by Tintoretto. You can also pass through the famous Bridge of Sighs, and see the new prison. Your guided tour concludes in the courtyard of the Doge's Palace, however you can linger in the Palace if you like, absorbing the history and mystery of days gone by.
IncludesGuided tour of the area covering Saint Mark's Square and Castello Guided tour of the Doge's Palace Admission fees and skip-the-line entry to the Doge’s Palace Personal audio system and headset for tour commentary Live tour commentary provided in English, French, Spanish, Italian or German
- This activity is not wheelchair accessible
- Backpacks are not allowed inside the Doge's Palace
- You should wear comfortable walking shoes
- This tour operates rain or shine
- From November 1 to March 31, there is no skip-the-line entrance to St. Mark's Basilica
- Tour may be affected in case of high tides
- Children up to 5 years old go free (document required). From the age of 6 they must pay the full ticket.