My Guide Website?
Venice: Jewish Ghetto Walking Tour
Take an insightful walk to discover the secrets of the first Jewish Ghetto in the world. Step away from the crowds and explore an authentic neighborhood in Venice on a guided tour with a small group.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in Venice:If youʻre booking your trip to Venice last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- Sense the deeply-ingrained culture of Venice's historic Jewish Ghetto
- Explore the beautiful streets and bridges of the Cannaregio neighborhood
- See what the local Jewish community's life has been like through the centuries
- Learn to recognize the hidden synagogues and where the word 'ghetto' comes from
- Visit the oldest pawn shop in Venice to hear about its unique history
DescriptionImmerse yourself in the first Jewish Ghetto to ever exist during your time in Venice. Join your guide on an informative tour of the area and discover a lesser-known, but an incredibly beautiful and well-preserved district. Learn about the rich history of the neighborhood throughout the years. Meet your guide and explore the district of Cannaregio, with its quaint streets and bridges draped in laundry, an Italian custom. Learn why the Serenissima Republic forced the Jewish community to live under strict rules and how they lived here for centuries. Hear about the local origins of the word 'ghetto' and learn to recognize the hidden synagogues. Acquire an understanding of how the Holocaust affected this particular community and visit the oldest pawn shop in Venice to see why it's so special. End your journey at Fondamenta dei Ormesini, a lively area, perfect for a break or a meal.
- This tour will take place rain or shine, although there may be some restrictions in case of high tides.